CAPP Offers Resources in Developing Physician Leadership
Special Five-Article Edition Published in Healthcare: The Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation
Physician executives from the Council of Accountable Physician Practices (CAPP), a coalition of leading American medical groups, have authored a five-part series on physician leadership that has been published as a special edition in Healthcare: The Journal of Delivery Science and Innovation. Through detailed case studies of their organizations’ efforts, the series presents creative and proven ideas to recruit, train, and develop physician leadership within medical groups and health systems. CAPP is affiliated with the American Medical Group Foundation, and is comprised of 28 of the country’s best and highest performing multi-specialty medical groups.
“Developing strong physician leadership is critical for delivering high-quality, patient-centered care, but many organizations lack the expertise and experience necessary to achieve this goal,” said Robert Pearl, M.D., Chair of the Council of Accountable Physician Practices, and CEO of The Permanente Medical Group and the Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group. “When physicians drive change and innovation, their colleagues are more likely to collaborate and improve. That is when real improvement in patient care and outcomes happens.”
Dr. Pearl also notes that physician leadership increases the likelihood that superior clinical outcomes will be achieved and that the well-being of the patient will remain the highest priority for the organization. “This series of articles presents successful programs from a number of CAPP groups and serves as a roadmap for other physician executives who seek to engage their clinicians in determining how best to improve medical care in the future,” said Dr. Pearl.
The articles are available online, and can be shared, downloaded and/or printed for use as a resource for the development of other healthcare organizations’ training and educational programs.
The articles and their authors include:
- “Physician Leadership in Changing Times,” by Jack Cochran, M.D., The Permanente Federation; Gary S. Kaplan, M.D., Virginia Mason Medical Center; and Robert E. Nesse, M.D., Mayo Clinic Health System.
- “Recruitment and Retention of Physician Leaders,” by Nick Wolter, M.D., Billings Clinic; Stephen L. Tarnoff, M.D., Group Health Physicians/Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound; and Linda Leckman, M.D., Intermountain Medical Group.
- “Crafting Successful Training Programs for Physician Leaders,” by David Bronson, M.D., Cleveland Clinic Regional Hospitals and Edward Ellison, M.D., Southern California Permanente Medical Group.
- “Physician Leadership in Organizations Undergoing Major Transformation,” by Lee Sacks, M.D., Advocate Physician Partners and Robert Margolis, M.D., DaVita HealthCare Partners, LLC.
- “Physician Leadership Initiatives at Small or Mid-Size Organizations,” by Joseph Bisordi, M.D., Ochsner Health System and Marwan Abouljoud, M.D., Henry Ford Medical Group.
To learn more about physician leadership, integrated healthcare and receive daily updates on key healthcare issues, follow CAPP on Twitter at: @accountableDOCS.